Clone Army Builders Guild
Welcome to the Clone Army Builders Guild!
You are welcome to browse as a Guest, but we invite
you to take advantage of more abilities by registering
for our website, and applying to the Guild later on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Clone Army Builders Guild!
You are welcome to browse as a Guest, but we invite
you to take advantage of more abilities by registering
for our website, and applying to the Guild later on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking through the Siegfried Line

+4
Darman
Troopa Daisy
LazerBlade
PhiMa
8 posters

Go down

Breaking through the Siegfried Line Empty Breaking through the Siegfried Line

Post by PhiMa Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:20 pm

Breaking through the Siegfried Line 4663470722_44201ff3e5

My Largest project to date (65x65 studs), depicting my favourite battle in World War Two: The Ardennes Offensive, better known as the battle of the Bulge. For some odd reason, I've always liked this one. What we basically have here is patton's Third Army breaking through the Siegfried line and slowly but surely relieving the surrounded 101st Airborne Division. Rolling through the snow with there E8 Shermans (Alright, they weren't in production back then Razz), the americans slowly advance, not being aware of a small german ambush on the other side. Not that they stand a chance.

Excuse the bad photography, this thing was terribly hard to get the light angled correctly and have all sides covered Razz Thank god for picnik editing pictures...

On a more historical note - The Battle of the Bulge last from 16 December 1944 to 25 January 1945. The germans launched one final counteroffensive in the Belgian ardennes, to hold off the allied advance. With about 19000 deaths on the american side, it was the largest battle during WWII for them. By the 21st of December, the 101st Airborne was surrounded in a village known as Bastogne by various Panzer divisions, and held out six days until Patton's third army broke the german encirclement and relieved the 101st. No member of the 101st Airborne has to this day admitted they needed rescuing.

The American tank offensive:
Breaking through the Siegfried Line 4663470954_d8ddb37071

Bird's eye view:
Breaking through the Siegfried Line 4663522546_0f9c4b2650

Part of the German line of defense:
Breaking through the Siegfried Line 4662900231_4a28f1a4ef

And the folder/gallery.

Enjoy!
PhiMa
PhiMa
VIP Former Staff
VIP Former Staff

Breaking through the Siegfried Line Flag_g10

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phima/

Back to top Go down

Breaking through the Siegfried Line Empty Re: Breaking through the Siegfried Line

Post by LazerBlade Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:29 pm

Awesome!!! I like this.

I think you could and some more detail to the ground. Wink
LazerBlade
LazerBlade
Guild Member
Guild Member

Breaking through the Siegfried Line Flag_u12

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lazerblade/

Back to top Go down

Breaking through the Siegfried Line Empty Re: Breaking through the Siegfried Line

Post by Troopa Daisy Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:23 pm

PhiMa wrote:No member of the 101st Airborne has to this day admitted they needed rescuing.

You mean some of those veterans from that division are still alive today? Weren't there only a few survivors? Shocked

Anyways, the MOC is nice, but the rock in the background looks somewhat odd since the rest of the MOC is only trees and plain ground. Not sure if the rock was there in the actual WW2.

The german ambush line is pretty good, I like how some are hiding under stuff but perhaps you could give them a bit more cover such as some green foliage or something like that.

Also, the ground is somewhat lacking, even if it is plain, it could have more plates stacked here and there.

But overall, a good MOC, it didn't have to be a 65 x 65 IMO, could have been shrunk (a tiny bit there's a lot of empty space).

Smile
Troopa Daisy
Troopa Daisy
Halo Kitty
Halo Kitty

Breaking through the Siegfried Line Flag_c10

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43597477@N02/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darman Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:19 pm

Overall it looks quite amazing but the ground is extremely in need of even the smallest of details.
Darman
Darman
Guild Member
Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:54 pm

Yeah, there definitely needs to be a bit more detail on the ground. And as Troopa Daisy said, It should be a bit smaller.

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpha Beta Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Looks like the Germans could use more men.
Also in your main pic, bottom right hand corner, you have some plates coming up. Wink
Alpha Beta
Alpha Beta
Non-Guild Member
Non-Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post by PizzaMovies Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:44 am

Troopa Daisy wrote:
PhiMa wrote:No member of the 101st Airborne has to this day admitted they needed rescuing.

You mean some of those veterans from that division are still alive today? Weren't there only a few survivors? Shocked

Anyways, the MOC is nice, but the rock in the background looks somewhat odd since the rest of the MOC is only trees and plain ground. Not sure if the rock was there in the actual WW2.

The german ambush line is pretty good, I like how some are hiding under stuff but perhaps you could give them a bit more cover such as some green foliage or something like that.

Also, the ground is somewhat lacking, even if it is plain, it could have more plates stacked here and there.

But overall, a good MOC, it didn't have to be a 65 x 65 IMO, could have been shrunk (a tiny bit there's a lot of empty space).

Smile

No... There were many survivors. The division wasn't decimated, it was just surrounded, and Patton "came to the rescue". And there are WW2 veterans still alive, ya know...

/facepalm

It's an OK MOC, but I really don't see anything special about it. Just flat white with trees and a rock, IMO. The Shermans are nice, but the MOC itself? Meh.
PizzaMovies
PizzaMovies
Guild Member
Guild Member

https://www.youtube.com/pizzamovies

Back to top Go down

Post by bl*c Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:18 am

^Kind of agree sadly. Sad

I really only find the tanks and the German defense line interesting.
bl*c
bl*c
Non-Guild Member
Non-Guild Member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50744850@N05/

Back to top Go down

Post by PhiMa Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:53 pm

Thanks for the reaallllly descriptive criticism guys. You all keep on suggesting I 'add more details' to the ground, yet..what am I supposed to add? It was snow, snow, snow, and, yep, you guessed it, snow. Wink

@Pizza: Never said it was special. Razz But making the base, trees, shermans, trenches, and 'rock' (They're called mountains you blithering idiots. Razz ) was quite hard itself anywho.

I feel like we should have that Sherman Poll again sometime Razz
PhiMa
PhiMa
VIP Former Staff
VIP Former Staff

Breaking through the Siegfried Line Flag_g10

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phima/

Back to top Go down

Post by legorevolution Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:28 pm

Ooh nice moc Phima! I'm really liking the trees and the landscape in general. However I still feel the snow is a little bland and flat for my liking. Next time you should spice it up a little more Wink
legorevolution
legorevolution
VIP Former Staff
VIP Former Staff

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=legorevolution

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum