Clone Army Builders Guild
Welcome to the Clone Army Builders Guild!
You are welcome to browse as a Guest, but we invite
you to take advantage of more abilities by registering
for our website, and applying to the Guild later on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Clone Army Builders Guild!
You are welcome to browse as a Guest, but we invite
you to take advantage of more abilities by registering
for our website, and applying to the Guild later on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoth Assault

+4
TheMissingPiece
Jedi Joe
Troopa Daisy
DarthPineapple
8 posters

Go down

Hoth Assault Empty Hoth Assault

Post by DarthPineapple Mon May 24, 2010 3:59 pm

Echo base, come in Echo base! This is Alpha 15.

This is Echo Base, what's your status Alpha 15?

We are being overrun by Imperials, we can't hold out much longer. We need reinforcements, now! They're breaking throu- AAARGH!

Alpha 15, what's happening? Alpha 15, come in Alpha 15!

Hoth Assault 4635207995_15a8033d3f

It originally started out as a 16x16, but eventually turned out to be 48x48. Razz
A group of Imperials assaults Alpha 15, an outpost not far away from the main base (Echo Base). The outpost is only guarded by 2 turrets (with LED lights!) and a handful troops with various machine gun positions. A small power unit supplies power the cannons (the real batteries are behind the bunker, the cables run through the bunker).

Noticeable weapons are the Brickarms LMGs (machine guns) stun grenade (comm device), Sci-Fi grenades (frag grenades) and a flame gun, here used as a blaster (Imp officer), and of course the LA (yes original LA) heavy repeater, used on the Snowtrooper commander.
Here are various close up-pictures, they give a better view of the trenches.

Forward machine gunner begging the officer not to kill him. In the back a trooper is fleeing from his machine gun to the 'safeness' of the bunker.

A machine gunner is deploying on a better location, with cover of the crashed snowspeeder. Another trooper is helping a wounded friend who got hit by a frag grenade.

The Imperials have set up an E-web and are throwing frag grenades into the trenches to get the rebels out.

Gallery
Enjoy! Smile

Oh yes, I thought about making rocks and more bumps, but all my slopes and plates were used in the trench. Wink
DarthPineapple
DarthPineapple
VIP Former Staff
VIP Former Staff

Hoth Assault Flag_n13

Back to top Go down

Hoth Assault Empty Re: Hoth Assault

Post by Troopa Daisy Mon May 24, 2010 4:15 pm

It's a pity you didn't have enough pieces, this would have been perfect with rocks and bumps. Wink Smile
Troopa Daisy
Troopa Daisy
Halo Kitty
Halo Kitty

Hoth Assault Flag_c10

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43597477@N02/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedi Joe Mon May 24, 2010 4:56 pm

Meh, it's a couple sets on a semi-detailed baseplate.

I know you can do better, DP.
Jedi Joe
Jedi Joe
Guild Member
Guild Member

Location : Florida, the state of neverending heat and humidity...
Hoth Assault Flag_u12

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthPineapple Mon May 24, 2010 6:49 pm

Jedi Joe wrote:Meh, it's a couple sets on a semi-detailed baseplate.

I know you can do better, DP.

All I see is a snowspeeder and some modded turrets, sets wise. There's a lot of other stuff, so what's wrong?
DarthPineapple
DarthPineapple
VIP Former Staff
VIP Former Staff

Hoth Assault Flag_n13

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMissingPiece Mon May 24, 2010 11:23 pm

I believe he ran out of white plates. Razz I like the antenna thing, though. Why so little landscape detail?
TheMissingPiece
TheMissingPiece
Council Member
Council Member

Hoth Assault Flag_u12

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_other_missing_piece/

Back to top Go down

Post by Steg Mon May 24, 2010 11:28 pm

I know you can't make bumps and rocks but you could have a little elevation. Overall I think it's great!
Steg
Steg
Guild Member
Guild Member

Hoth Assault Flag_u12

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50257095@N02/

Back to top Go down

Post by bl*c Mon May 24, 2010 11:55 pm

Don't know why there has to be bumps on snow plains.

I think it looks great, can't wait for the folder to become public to check out what you have hidden in that command post. Smile
bl*c
bl*c
Non-Guild Member
Non-Guild Member

Hoth Assault Flag_u12

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50744850@N05/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Yoda Tue May 25, 2010 1:00 am

Well, you have a lot of figures....?

Uhhhh I'm going to go into semi-harsh mode in 3-2-1...

The only real problem is the snow. In the middle of a wild, natural terrain like Hoth it will be bumpy and unpredictable. A bunch of flat baseplates looks like you barely tried at all. You didn't even have it tiled to look like snow. You can notice how bad this looks when you see the difference between the slopes leading to the trenches, and the un-tiled surface. Plates might work a little better if you moved them around with different levels and smaller pieces. I see you said that you didn't have enough pieces to finish....

Then don't make it that big!

I don't know how many times I've seen what could be amazing projects turn foul because they just wanted to be big and grand. Building smaller can help you get much better and also makes what you have look better.

But there is some good stuff. I love all the battle damage to the rebels, especially the blown up turret and that bunker. (You seem to be good at bunkers) Wink The best detail is the wounded rebel with the shrapnel filled face.

If I were you I'd make this half the stud area and take a few details out like the tower and some of the open space filled by snowtroopers.
Darth Yoda
Darth Yoda
VIP Former Staff
VIP Former Staff

Hoth Assault Flag_u12

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32354339@N06/

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthPineapple Tue May 25, 2010 4:46 pm

TheMissingPiece wrote:I believe he ran out of white plates. Razz I like the antenna thing, though. Why so little landscape detail?

I think you answered yourself. Razz

Steg wrote:I know you can't make bumps and rocks but you could have a little elevation. Overall I think it's great!

As I said, I had no more pieces left.

Darth Yoda wrote:Well, you have a lot of figures....?

Uhhhh I'm going to go into semi-harsh mode in 3-2-1...

The only real problem is the snow. In the middle of a wild, natural terrain like Hoth it will be bumpy and unpredictable. A bunch of flat baseplates looks like you barely tried at all. You didn't even have it tiled to look like snow. You can notice how bad this looks when you see the difference between the slopes leading to the trenches, and the un-tiled surface. Plates might work a little better if you moved them around with different levels and smaller pieces. I see you said that you didn't have enough pieces to finish....

Then don't make it that big!

I don't know how many times I've seen what could be amazing projects turn foul because they just wanted to be big and grand. Building smaller can help you get much better and also makes what you have look better.

But there is some good stuff. I love all the battle damage to the rebels, especially the blown up turret and that bunker. (You seem to be good at bunkers) Wink The best detail is the wounded rebel with the shrapnel filled face.

If I were you I'd make this half the stud area and take a few details out like the tower and some of the open space filled by snowtroopers.

I knew you'd respond with this. Razz
Problem is is that half of this is just too small. You see, the bunker, trench and turrets take up quite a bit of room, so there wouldn't be any room left for the Imps. I had to choose, big accurate layout with lots of stuff going on or very compact, detailed layout.
But, I don't have an enormous collection of parts as you have, I think I managed to build something quite good with what I have. Level detailing is impossible without small plates. Sad
DarthPineapple
DarthPineapple
VIP Former Staff
VIP Former Staff

Hoth Assault Flag_n13

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Yoda Tue May 25, 2010 11:52 pm

My creation wasn't that big....

A trick I used was to use as many slopes as possible to create different levels, and also take the number of tiles needed away...
Curved slopes are especially good for snow.
Darth Yoda
Darth Yoda
VIP Former Staff
VIP Former Staff

Hoth Assault Flag_u12

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32354339@N06/

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpha Beta Wed May 26, 2010 12:37 am

Very nice, I really have no complaints.
Alpha Beta
Alpha Beta
Non-Guild Member
Non-Guild Member

Hoth Assault Flag_u12

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthPineapple Wed May 26, 2010 2:36 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:My creation wasn't that big....

A trick I used was to use as many slopes as possible to create different levels, and also take the number of tiles needed away...
Curved slopes are especially good for snow.

I'm not referring to your MOC (you didn't post it at that time), just to your collection of parts. Wink
DarthPineapple
DarthPineapple
VIP Former Staff
VIP Former Staff

Hoth Assault Flag_n13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down