Clone Army Builders Guild
Welcome to the Clone Army Builders Guild!
You are welcome to browse as a Guest, but we invite
you to take advantage of more abilities by registering
for our website, and applying to the Guild later on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Clone Army Builders Guild!
You are welcome to browse as a Guest, but we invite
you to take advantage of more abilities by registering
for our website, and applying to the Guild later on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep.

+20
(insert name here)
134st Legion
Commander Mongoose
flare
pdragon27
[Jay]
Zepher
Mike
-Aki-
thunder-clone
legorevolution
astoriabluelegos
Rook
DarthPineapple
major reviss
evatnorth
J4ke
Thunder-blade
Clonecommando007
The Jinja Ninja
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep. Empty Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep.

Post by The Jinja Ninja Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:46 pm

Updated 11th October 2008
Updated 16th December 2008
Updated 26th September 2009

Built this a couple of years ago and add to it now and then, but seeing as I'd like to use this as the personal starfighter of my Jedi General, I'm now looking for some real ways to improve it. Anyway, pictures:

Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep. 2861138058_79ebf425bf_o

Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep. 04

Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep. 02.jpg_thumb Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep. 03.jpg_thumb Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep. 06.jpg_thumb

Gallery

I realise I haven't posted pictures of Ruaidhri himself yet - maybe tomorrow. Smile

Anyway, what are your opinions?

Last edited by The Jinja Ninja on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:52 pm; edited 6 times in total
The Jinja Ninja
The Jinja Ninja
Evil Ornj Vizier
Evil Ornj Vizier

Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep. Flag_u10

Back to top Go down

Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep. Empty Re: Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep.

Post by Clonecommando007 Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:50 pm

I really like the gun turret on top, and the engines are nice, but I would have more space betwen the engines and the cockpit/gun. The nose could be fixed a bit too. But great so far!
Clonecommando007
Clonecommando007
Kinda like a UFO
Kinda like a UFO

Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep. Flag_u12

Back to top Go down

Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep. Empty Re: Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep.

Post by Thunder-blade Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:51 pm

No offense Jinja, but this looks more like a landspeeder and not a starfighter, if you added wings and took out the guns on the top it would look more like a spaceship!
Thunder-blade
Thunder-blade
Thunder-Sharpie
Thunder-Sharpie

http://mocpages.com/home.php/15131

Back to top Go down

Post by The Jinja Ninja Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:54 pm

T-B: Heard of an A-Wing? Wink And I tried to model the turret off of the Y-Wing. Maybe make it more like the UCS version?

CC: Thanks for the tip. I know, how about a nice greebly SNOT area between the cockpit and engines?

Last edited by The Jinja Ninja on Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Jinja Ninja
The Jinja Ninja
Evil Ornj Vizier
Evil Ornj Vizier

Back to top Go down

Post by J4ke Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:06 am

Pros:

Nifty engines
Nice colour scheme
Nice inverted cockpit idea

Cons:

Guns on top look tacked on, ditch 'em and integrate some into the wings
Too many contradicting angles, smooooooooth it out
Grey and ornj are kind of argh!
Not JSF-ish enough, give it some big wings or a gap in the middle
Bottom is too bulky
Grey and bley clash
Republic logo seems out of place
Trans-clr cheeses are pointless
The nose is particularlyy messy
J4ke
Non-Guild Member
Non-Guild Member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10606714@N05/

Back to top Go down

Post by evatnorth Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:11 am

Yeah me too it looks like a landspeeder than more then a starfighter.
evatnorth
Non-Guild Member
Non-Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Jinja Ninja Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:19 am

By any chance, could you two post a picture of this landspeeder it supposedly looks like? I know it a little bit snowspeeder-y, shape-wise, but looking at it in person, I'd say it was more like an A-wing starfighter than anything...

Jake, thanks for your ideas, and I'll try and get my hands on that part you suggested on MSN. Smile Just going over some of the points you made:

"Guns on top look tacked on, ditch 'em and integrate some into the wings": I will integrate some into the wings, but I think I'll just shrink the top guns - blend 'em in more.

"Grey and ornj are kind of argh!": I'll try and eliminate the dark grey, and maybe switch the grey to bley.

"Not JSF-ish enough, give it some big wings or a gap in the middle": I'm not going for a Delta-7 or Eta-2, just a starfighter.

"Republic logo seems out of place": It's a Republic ship. Razz

"The nose is particularly messy": Yeah, I always thought that was the weak point.

Anyway, more suggestions?

Last edited by The Jinja Ninja on Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Jinja Ninja
The Jinja Ninja
Evil Ornj Vizier
Evil Ornj Vizier

Back to top Go down

Post by major reviss Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:22 pm

I'd say try to make the colors on the thrusters match. That would be a little more realistic. Smile
major reviss
major reviss
Non-Guild Member
Non-Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthPineapple Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:41 pm

Orange! Nice color, I love the idea for the thrusters. Smile
DarthPineapple
DarthPineapple
VIP Former Staff
VIP Former Staff

Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep. Flag_n13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rook Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:22 pm

Hey, I like it. I actually wouldn't change a thing. I like the orange on dark colors. Very Rebel "-esque".
Rook
Rook
The Doctor
The Doctor

Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep. Flag_c10

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11205069@N06/

Back to top Go down

Post by astoriabluelegos Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:22 pm

I like it too, the only thing I would suggest is putting some more detailing around the base of the gun, and smoothing out the nose just a bit, these upgrades arn't even neccesary, just suggestions, I think it looks great as it is! Smile Blue Arc
astoriabluelegos
astoriabluelegos
VIP Former Staff
VIP Former Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by legorevolution Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:51 pm

Now this looks nice Jinja! Good use of orange with the whole color scheme. The fighter looks a little bulky in terms of width and kinda reminds me more of a tank or ground vehicle. To fix this problem I suggest elongating it or cutting some of the sloped bricks off the back. Good work!
legorevolution
legorevolution
VIP Former Staff
VIP Former Staff

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=legorevolution

Back to top Go down

Post by thunder-clone Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:53 pm

Well the turret is a nice touch and the engines are nice too, but they need more space from each other. Also it needs more work if you want it to be a starfighter, because it looks more like a landspeeder. Still 4/5. And nice work on the color scheme.
thunder-clone
thunder-clone
Non-Guild Member
Non-Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Jinja Ninja Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:19 pm

Okay, that's the third person who's said it looks more like a landspeeder (although thunder-clone was probably just parrotting to get his post count up Roll Eyes ). Could someone enlighten me as to why?

Legorev: I think I'll work on elongating the nose. Smile
The Jinja Ninja
The Jinja Ninja
Evil Ornj Vizier
Evil Ornj Vizier

Back to top Go down

Post by astoriabluelegos Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:23 pm

The Jinja Ninja wrote:Okay, that's the third person who's said it looks more like a landspeeder (although thunder-clone was probably just parrotting to get his post count up Roll Eyes ). Could someone enlighten me as to why?

Legorev: I think I'll work on elongating the nose. Smile

Well, it does sorta look Landspeeder-esk, but it reminds me more of a Eta-2/A-Wing mix, or even a space tug. I especially like the large engines, they make it look VERY spacecrafty. Wink Blue Arc
astoriabluelegos
astoriabluelegos
VIP Former Staff
VIP Former Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by The Jinja Ninja Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:28 pm

Does anyone except Jake think this piece would be good on the sides?

Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep. 41750
The Jinja Ninja
The Jinja Ninja
Evil Ornj Vizier
Evil Ornj Vizier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rook Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:34 pm

In orange maybe. But I already said what I thought about the MOC.
Rook
Rook
The Doctor
The Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by -Aki- Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:37 pm

Looks really cool right now! Looks like when you said "You will see these guys some day! I promise.", you meant it!
-Aki-
-Aki-
Non-Guild Member
Non-Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post by astoriabluelegos Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:38 pm

If you can find those pieces in orange Jinja, I think that would work well! Smile Blue Arc
astoriabluelegos
astoriabluelegos
VIP Former Staff
VIP Former Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rook Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:40 pm

Exo-Force has them. Several I believe. Most had stickers that you were suppose to put on them.
Rook
Rook
The Doctor
The Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Jinja Ninja Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:08 pm

Only in that big orange tank. I think my friend has that one in his attic, so I may be in luck. Smile
The Jinja Ninja
The Jinja Ninja
Evil Ornj Vizier
Evil Ornj Vizier

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:00 pm

The Jinja Ninja wrote:Does anyone except Jake think this piece would be good on the sides?

Ruaidhri's Starfighter (WIP/Old MOC) UPDATED 26th Sep. 41750
Just be lazy and paint over it really carefully and smoothly. Razz Wink
Mike
Mike
Non-Guild Member
Non-Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Jinja Ninja Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:30 pm

That's a Bricklink image, not something in my collection. The only ones I have are currently in Boba Fett's Slave I, and I really don't want to annoy Fett. Wink In other news, the friend I mentioned has agreed to let me buy the big ornj tank off of him for cheap. I guess I'll pick it up Saturday when I go round to hijack his copy of The Force Unleashed. Smile

Anyway, looks like I'll have to dig out my ISD (now the Outrider alt-model) to nick two bley wing plates, so I'd best get cracking!
The Jinja Ninja
The Jinja Ninja
Evil Ornj Vizier
Evil Ornj Vizier

Back to top Go down

Post by The Jinja Ninja Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:57 pm

Almost-month-old bump! I've taken into account most of your comments (y'know, apart from the stupid ones Razz ) and revamped the starfighter. The nose has been elongated, the angles have been smoothed out, there are guns on the wings, I'm steadily replacing grey with bley and I've added a 1-stud wide SNOT-y bit between the cockpit and engines, which is being greebled slowly but surely. I'll post pictures soon, as I'm feeling motivated tonight, and then I'll see what you've got to say before I start buying and *GASP* painting new pieces (gorram rare rounded slopes!). Brace yourselves for hypersp-... uh, my next post!
The Jinja Ninja
The Jinja Ninja
Evil Ornj Vizier
Evil Ornj Vizier

Back to top Go down

Post by major reviss Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:48 pm

This post is so Jinja does not have to triple post. He could just hit edit though... Razz
major reviss
major reviss
Non-Guild Member
Non-Guild Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum